Friday, November 10, 2017

Times that try men's souls

History is important.  Kids will disagree, but we all know differently.  With teaching history there are often multiple ways of looking at it… on the surface, and the meanings that go much deeper.  To say that the Revolutionary Army fought for our freedom from 1775-1783 is on the surface.  To discuss the struggles and triumphs of the war is deeper.



With tomorrow being Veteran’s Day, and with everyone else out there suffering at times with one thing or another, I feel compelled to write today.  


“These are the times that try men’s souls.”  What does that mean?  Some may look upon that as a piece of writing that helped the Revolutionary Army stay motivated when ‘the times were tough,’ but what were those times?  And how were they tough? And how does this part of history affect or inspire me today?  


First, let's talk about what those times are that try men’s souls.  In revolutionary times the Army is gathered in winter camp at Morristown NJ, and they had suffered mostly defeat and retreat for the last 6 months at the hands of the British.  The piece of writing from Thomas Paine was written just two days before the infamous crossing of the Delaware that turned the war.  You could imagine, though, that before the strike against the Hessians in the winter of 1776 that many of the soldiers were looking forward to their discharge.  Things were hard and they may have thought that the ride would have been different.  Paine discusses the two types of people in the essay as ‘summer soldiers/sunshine Patriots’ or those who ‘come forth and meet’ to repulse the enemy.  In Revolutionary times, the British and the crown were the enemy.  He states that it would be better with too much force than too little.


What tries your souls today? Could it be Depression or mental illness brought on by difficult situations?  Could it be the loss of a family member, or a divorce?  Could it be sickness, disability, or economic circumstance?  Could it be that you have been severely embarrassed?  The answer is yes…. To all of them… and more.  


Whatever your times are, those times that try your soul, they are yours and your exclusively.  You may find people on that lonely path at different points than you, and perhaps they understand, but very rarely do the roads and shoes match each situation.  


I know in my life I have had a few too many roads, or so it feels at times, that no one understands.  I know there have been times I Have kept it in and only let myself cry on long walks by myself.  Other times I have reached out for help, only to feel ignored and judged.  When I post something that may be deep from my heart, it really is a cry for help.  What generally happens, though, is that I am brushed aside to maybe be asked about it down the line.  When it is too far in the future and I am asked about it I going to feel like you aren’t asking because you care, it is because you just want to know what the latest is.  There is a difference there.  For a celebrity, the whole world will know their problem and talk about it.  They will offer advice to the world what this person should do, but the person that is really suffering from the problem does not have proper attention paid to the problem and they do something crazy in the eyes of the world.  What those people want is someone who cares.  


Do we care?  When Thomas Paine wrote the ‘American Crisis,’ he was reminding people of why we should care about the Revolutionary war and why the soldiers should be loved, supported, loved, that they should never give up.  He wrote that there is a great ‘object at stake.’  He is meaning freedom, liberty, and independence from Britain.  We can still use these words though, for other things.  We can look upon someone’s life as just as important.  We can band together and get too great of a force, because too weak of a force would be bad.  Sometimes we don’t know exactly how much force to put together.  Lets just put it all together.  


Last night, I talked with someone on her way back from taking a family member to the University Psych ward to evaluate them and treat them for distress that was heading towards suicide.  No one knows if, when, or how it would maybe have happened, all they know is that this person was in trouble.  The tests won’t always tell us all we need to know individually, but together they may paint a better picture.  Could this person have survived at home and been safe?  Sure.  The problem is, we just don’t know.  


When we come across people who are obviously struggling, do we just ignore them and wait to see what happens?  If you think you have nothing to give, do you at least try?  If you think you have read between the lines that someone is struggling, although they come across strong, do you ask them about it anyway… going with your gut?  I’ll never forget coming across an Instagram post and thinking that something wasn’t right.  I didn’t know this person very well, so perhaps I can feel ok that I did nothing.  Perhaps they would be ok anyway.  Here is the post:


“From a young age I was introduced to the word ‘Survival’ because I was forced by abandonment to Realize that someone might not always be there to feed me or hold me.  The past 20 years I have fought to become the person that I am and I am not going to let anyone ever tell me I am someone that I am not.  I love the sun, I take crayons to church… I eat my sandwiches without condiments, and I adore school.  I am an independent person.  People always talk about how they love their ‘better half,’ but I am a whole person on my own; I have two legs, two arms; I am complete on my own and I can make decisions for myself.  I am comfortable in my own skin.  The person I am does not depend on anyone else.  I will go on living with or without the people who don’t fully appreciate the person I am and I will be forever grateful for the people who do support and love me.  No one can tell you who you are and don’t you dare let anyone make you cry because they don’t like the person you have created for yourself.”


It looks and sounds like this person is doing well.  Less than a week after this post she killed herself.


When people are lonely, scared, and/or reaching out for help we need to be aware.  It was no doubt hard for all of those who supported the revolutionary cause, let alone fought in it.  What Thomas Paine wrote, however is so applicable to us.  We value freedom/lives.  We want to be free from the suffering of Tyranny/depression.  We also will find that it is a better story that we endured the winter, ‘when nothing but hope and virtue could survive.’  Future generations will remember us if we step up.  If we survive the struggles, whether we are the one struggling or the one watching, we deserve the love of every man and woman.  I encourage all of us to take this advice, because the ‘harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph.’



Let’s not be shy of helping others.  I know there have been times I have reached out only to be criticized and ignored.  Let us not be with those cowards.  


Brian L B 11.10.2017

No comments:

Post a Comment